Monday 12 March 2018

Play and Have fun even if you have a stoma

When life comes at you fast and believe me if you have a stoma at some point it has, then you need to learn to live.  I mean take the time to be happy and work on your body to be able to do the things that you love.  I am not a big fan of living a life around being alone and especially when you have a stoma you should make sure you are happy and safe.  The lonely feelings after surgery go far beyond having a stoma, but sometimes when you have a physical lifelong change you can feel isolated.  Being able to have amazing gear and being able to be connected with people has allowed me to live a great life even with my stoma.



Well, let us just into how this is really done and done well.  I think that the best thing is to learn what makes you happy and go about it.  Personally, I am an outdoor person and it is part of my life.  The thrill of seeing new things or simply being out in the wilderness is what gives me joy and it is even better when I can share those experiences with others.  After my surgery, I was very afraid that I would never be able to do so again.  Without a doubt, my stoma gave me a lot of fear and I was afraid it would change my life for the worse.



But I researched and found people who were doing incredible things with their stoma. The coolest person I found was a professional cycler.  This guy had many national medals and then had to get an ostomy.  I thought his career was over, but instead, he decided to stay at it.  He even trained super hard to finish an iron man competition later on.  He finished an iron man in less than a dozen hours and it was incredible to see him do it.  The wild story of him being able to do something that most humans only dream of doing was inspiring.  My confidence took a huge boost.


This guy did incredible things with not the best gear either.   He didn't get a million dollars in super ostomy gear instead he did it like a minimalist.  That was the coolest part.  It led me on my journey to learn about connecting with others in the plan to find the best gear for me. 



Hopping online and getting into the web was the best thing for me.  At first, I only made comments, but through those, I found people had the same questions I did and ended up connecting and personal messaging a lot of people who were willing to help.  Now I am able to let people know what works for me in order to give them ideas on things to try.  That to me is the important part of ostomy gear and that is knowing that no all gear works for everyone.  It is important to be able to branch out and try things on your own.  We are all different so find what works best for you. Because in the end, you are what matter and your body is not the same as any one elses. So be wise and have fun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Play and Have fun even if you have a stoma

When life comes at you fast and believe me if you have a stoma at some point it has, then you need to learn to live.  I mean take the time t...